Thursday, March 14, 2013

Gerard Butler: Friends say my American accent makes me 'sound like an idiot' By Randee Dawn, TODAY contributor


Slipping into an American accent may be second nature now for Scotland-born Gerard Butler, but it "didn't come easy," he told TODAY's Matt Lauer Thursday. The star of the new film "Olympus Has Fallen" puts on that foreign accent for his new role, saying he only was able to master sounding like he was from the U.S. after "about 1,000 dialect sessions."

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

"There came a point when I realized I have to just walk around speaking like an American, and my friends would be like, 'You sound like an idiot.' I said, 'It doesn't matter.'" But when Butler returns home, it just takes one quick stop at the coffee shop to restore his home-grown Scottish burr (one Lauer called "gorgeous"): "I always go to the Starbucks at the Glasgow airport and say, 'I'll have a cafe latte, please' to kind of click me back into that thick Scottish accent," he grinned.

READ MORE: http://todayentertainment.today.com/_news/2013/03/14/17310122-gerard-butler-friends-say-my-american-accent-makes-me-sound-like-an-idiot?lite

No comments: